Tuesday, April 13, 2010

4 Months, 1 Week: The beach and 4 mo. Checkup

This past weekend, we took Liam to Tybee (Savannah's beach). It wasn't as hot as we thought it would be. It was actually warm, but windy. The little baby tent thing I bought for him didn't work out too well because it kept on blowing over from the wind! But we did finally find him some sunglasses that fit his head - it has a strap that goes around his head instead of "arms". and we got him a hat at Old Navy. The little surf shirt was a gift from... ... I can't seem to remember who... Leila maybe? But the shorts were definitely from Leila... both were 6 month size, and borderline too tight! Anyway, he seemed to enjoy himself. We tried to keep him out of the sun and slathered baby sunscreen on him. He seemed to like looking at the sky and clouds.

Today, Joel and I took Liam to the Doctor for his 4 month check up and shots. So now the Doc says he's as big as a 6-7 month old! He's at the top of the growth charts... His stats are:
  • Weight: 18lb. 6.5 oz.
  • Length: 26.5 in.
  • Head circumference: 42.5 cm
When he tried to get Liam to lift himself up from a horizontal position - Doc pulled his hands up so that Liam would go into a seated position - he noticed that he had more control over his legs than neck and arms. When he lifted him up by his hands, his neck went limp (he's held it up fine in the past) and his back arched and he kicked his legs out. But as hie lifted him up more, Liam tried to stand up using his legs alone and he just about did it! The Doc said that normally, babies go from developing neck control to arm control, then leg control, but in Liam's case, he has more leg power! That's probably why he still hasn't roller over yet...

He also has a bit of eczema on his head. Liam scratches his head now and leaves little raw spots on his scalp. :( He has apparently inherited his mom's sensitive skin! He gave us a prescription for lotion to apply twice a day. His head is also still pretty flat, and the Doc said to give him lots of tummy time and to hold him more so that he's not lying flat too often. Otherwise if it doesn't round out more by his next 6 mo. appt, he might have to get a helmet! :(

We also talked about starting solids. Doc said it was ok to start rice cereal now, and then once he's mastered that, he can try veggies. I bought him some rice and oatmeal cereal (what the hell is the difference? I just bought them both!) to try tonight. He seems ready... well, I think so... he easily downed his thick antibiotics when he was sick! haha I'm excited to try. I'll report on that next week.

The shots were horrible. I couldn't watch. He seemed more pissed off than last time!

That's about it... I'm really excited because my parents and grandma are coming down this weekend! Grandma is going to stay with us for an extended period of time (a month or 2) to watch Liam while I work instead of paying $130 a week for daycare! Gotta clean and move furniture around before they get here on Friday!

4 comments:

Shonna said...

Oh no! A helmet?!?! That would be so sad! Liam is such a big boy! All of his stats are bigger than his bff. I can't wait to get them next to each other again! How did the rice cereal go? We might try it today. Well keep that boy off his back so he can avoid the helmet!

Unknown said...

helmet???? is it to get his posture right? i m confused. poor lil guy. i hope he doesn't have to wear that. by the way $130 a week for baby care!!??? damn! yeah i will definitely be moving closer to family to avoid that! a friend of mine back in delhi pays $70 for a full time nanny.. america is just way too expensive for things that should be rightfully paid for or cheaply affordable ...scandinavian countries ought to be the role models here! bu regardless, i hope you and joel get time to relax when your grandma is here. :)

Shonna said...

Pallavi - I pay $240/week fr 4 days! I'm with you!

JBeaverton said...

i liked my shades better