I'm really late with the weekly update this week, mainly due to having little time to myself lately. I am seriously a slave to this baby!
Liam has congestion and both Joel and I have also caught a little cold as well. I've been saline-and-suctioning Liam's nose which he hates. No more than twice a day though because I read that it can harm his nasal membranes.
His feedings have become shorter and more frequent: like anywhere from 5-10 minutes per breast (one or both per session), and anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours in between. I had gotten used to the 3-4 hours apart in the first couple weeks...now I am not so lucky! I called the lactation consultant (LC) with the concern that he wasn't getting enough, but she assured me that he is just an efficient eater since he is still making enough poopie diapers.
Night feedings are tough too. He can sleep for about 4-5 hours in one stretch, but after that it's back to the 2 hour feedings and also the time needed to put him back to sleep (which is another issue). I'm about to break down and start pumping and bottle feeding for the night feedings so that I can just easily warm a bottle and feed him without breaking my back (I have to nurse him is weird positions due to both of my wrists STILL hurting). And that way, Joel can also feed him as well and give me a break.
He also has trouble sleeping on a flat surface. We moved him from the newborn napper on the pack n play (a smaller, inclined sleeping surface) to the flat bassinet part since he's outgrown the napper. We have to tightly swaddle him before putting him down, otherwise he flails his arms and wakes himself up.
I'm just very exhausted and a little frustrated. I'm still trying to get used to the whole motherhood thing... It's definitely not what I expected, but I didn't really know what I was getting into in the first place. Hopefully things will get a little easier? I find that each week is a little different, and there's always something new to try and figure out. One thing can work one time, then it might not work again and you have to try something else.
4 comments:
Hey momma! Chin up, you're doing great and it does get better! Week 3 was the hardest for me and I almost gave up on bfeeding completely. She also had a cold during the 3rd week and the congestion sounded horrible. We had been using the aspirator too but the doctor said that if you don't see boogers, don't use it -- it bothers the adults more than the babies. Did the lactation consultant say anything about him being a "snacker"? I read about that and they say it causes more frequent feedings. Call me when you get time! Love ya, S & S
You're doing a great job! Hang in there! :)
I'm hoping by the end of the 3rd month when I finally see you that you'll say motherhood is becoming a breeze (and if it's not, just don't say so in front of Will. hahahahah) ^_~ *hugs*
Though, motherhood is a constant challenge, it will definitely get more rewarding as you go. I remember asking myself during the first month, "What the hell was I thinking?" or "Why me?". And now, I couldn't be happier or feel more confident. It is hard and discouraging at first for all first time moms. Just as long as you do your best and keep a smile on your face, you'll get that confidence and it will become so much more fulfilling.
Post a Comment