Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day Weekend


Happy belated Mothers Day!

***begin TMI alert***
I have to say that last week has been a very physically stressful and painful week. I had an abscess in a "very sensitive" area that got to the point where it was painful to sit, stand or walk. This wasn't the first time this happened either. I got a few a month before, and thought they went away with the antibiotics I was prescribed. So I had a normal/painless week and a half (around Easter), but after the course of meds, they returned and with a vengeance. I was referred to a surgeon and had to have minor surgery to get it drained. This was the first time I was ever put to sleep... it was kind of cool. haha Long story short, I can sit and walk and be somewhat normal again. Has this happened to anyone else? The whole time I was in pain, I was thinking, "Of course something so embarrassing and annoying has to happen to me." Plus the various pain meds I was on made me ill, so if it wasn't pain "down there" I had to deal with, it was feeling nauseous, suffering from migraines, or even feelings of despair/worthlessness for not being able to care for my kid like a normal mom. For the record: Tramadol is what gave me all those ailments. I was switched to Vicodin, but all it did was help me sleep. Tramadol actually DID ease the pain, but it was not worth the other side-effects. Vicodin was no help. Maybe I just needed some good ol' liquor!
***end TMI alert***

Speaking of Vicodin, for Mothers Day, Joel and Liam got me the first 2 seasons of my most favorite show ever: House! I used to TiVo all the old reruns and watch them while I was on maternity leave with Liam. I should have been sleeping while Liam napped, but nope! I watched House reruns!

Liam is a talking machine now! He's probably still doubled his vocabulary even since the last time I blogged. He can say 2-word phrases now, such as "big rock" or "red car" or "duck dog" (which is in a Dr. Seuss book)! He is beginning to branch out with his colors. Before, everything was "blue" if you asked him what color something was. I don't really think he even knew what it was. He just knew it was a color. Now, we are trying to get him to associate blue with the actual color, as well as introduce new colors. It could have been luck, but we had some MegaBlocks on the floor and asked him to pick up the blue, red, yellow, green and orange blocks, and he got 5/5 correct!


Last weekend was Shonna's "29th" birthday and she invited us to come up for the weekend to Deep Creek Lake in beautiful western Maryland. OMG, I could live there. My dream home is on a mountain overlooking a valley or lake. Sigh. Anyway, the drive was about 3.5 hours. We got there and tried to find some toddler-friendly things to do. There was a little rain, but we managed to let the kids play on a pirate ship and run around fields for a while. Then we had a yummy grilled steak dinner and s'mores. It was pretty fun and relaxing (even though, at the time, my lady-parts were still pretty sore)! Thanks for inviting us! I got lots of cute photos of the kids being adorable! Check the rest out on the Shutterfly.

Buhbye Scarlett! Thanks for inviting us... gimme a hug!
Also this past week we got to have a quick visit with Joel's parents who were visiting DC, while on their way up to see Joel's grandmother in PA. We had a steak dinner as well, and Liam sure loves some steak - "meat, meat" he calls it! Liam did pretty well with the late nights. He didn't get cranky staying up past his bedtime, thank goodness.

I can't believe May is here. Not sure what else we will have planned, but I know we are due for a visit to Joel's Aunt Lisa and Uncle Mark in PA. Maybe one of these weekends we can make another weekend trip of it.

I have to schedule Liam's 18-month doc visit. He's surely getting taller, as his pants are looking like high-waters on him now! I am about to retire the ol' changing table pad that I have attached to his dresser. He is too long and usually manages to push his head off the pad/dresser edge! haha But I think his weight is holding steady. Every time I have him step on the bathroom scale, he's usually around 30 lbs. He hasn't had too many tantrums lately (knock on wood), thank goodness! I have NOT given my boy a haircut yet, although many have told me that I need to cut his hair! I agree, but I am just not sure how to go about doing it. I kind of want the honor of giving him his first haircut, but I am too afraid that I will mess it up.

That's about it for this post... I hope you all have had a great Mothers Day weekend!

P.S. If anyone is interested, I am trying to update my other/art blog, looking for my muse, more regularly. Please feel free to check it out and leave inspiring comments for me (as I surely need them! haha). Thanks!

5 comments:

Rene' said...

Happy belated Mother's Day!! Cute pics of Liam and his friend! My friends had their honeymoon at Deep Creek Lake. I've never been but have been curious to check it out. Maybe one of these days!
I hope you're feeling better. What an awful thing to go through!!

aleelavine said...

Happy Belated Momma's Day!!!! That chair pic is awesome!!! I'm sorry to hear about your bout with the uncomfortableness ... :-P Glad it's better! :)

Anonymous said...

WTF? It still wouldn't accept my comment. Maybe it's too long? Anyway, I guess I'll message you sometime. Keep up the great work on your art blog! I'm really hoping that you are recovering well. And of course, LOVING the pics of Liam and Scarlett! Those two are so precious!
Miss you guys!

Shonna said...

I watched House all through maternity leave too! LOVE that show! :) Thanks again for making the drive! We had a great time with you guys and it was so cool to see the kids luvin' on each other! :D

Thanks again for the amazing bday present too! You know this means that your "29th" bday is just around the corner...

Unknown said...

Happy belated mother's day jacy!! hope you guys had a great time. I am super late in reading your blog, however i hope the abscess surgery went well and you are better. chris had to get something similar removed from his underarm when he was little, but not sure if it was an abscess. love the pictures!!! i love liam's hair length, he's such a cutie. :)