Monday, February 22, 2010

11 Weeks: A never-ending nap battle

Last week was another week of nap-hell (for mommy, anyway). I kept a log of his sleeping during the day and night and well, there was no real pattern other than that he won't nap in his crib for more than 30-45 minutes. The Rock-and-Play sleeper didn't really help with his sleep (but it's a nice little portable seat for him at least). Boo. I'd try to rock him back to sleep after the first initial wake ups, but after I put him down, he'd wake back up. The patting and soothing in the crib doesn't work for him at all and he doesn't like pacifiers. There were a couple 1 hour, 40 minute naps though... both took place at the 2nd nap of the day. Then there were a few 2 hour naps, but those started off in the crib and ended up in bed with me. Just now, I put him down swaddled, sleepy, and content... turned on the white noise and left the room. He fell asleep within 10 minutes without fussing, but we will see how long this nap lasts!

I know they say "sleep begets sleep" where if they nap well during the day, they will sleep well at night. Liam has little problems sleeping at night (thank God). So I don't know if he just doesn't necessarily NEED the long naps or what. This kid doesn't follow any "textbooks" so I don't know what to think. I actually think that's my problem. I read too many books about babies and sleep. And when I do that, I have these expectations that may apply to most babies, but not all. Then I stress out over why he isn't following the routine I try to establish. It makes me so anxious and uneasy when naptime comes every day.

ANYWAY... last week Liam stayed with Auntie Valerie while Joel and I went to a wedding on Friday. Ah.. it was nice to go out and hang out with friends and have a few drinks without having to worry about a baby (too much). He did good and wasn't too much of a terror (I hope! heehee). Then Saturday, Liam and I went to Clarice's son Luke's first birthday party. He did very well there. He likes outings and meeting new people. And it was a beautiful day! Almost 70 degrees and sunny! A complete change from last week's freak snow "storm"!

Oh I went to see an Orthopedist last Wednesday about my wrists. Waste of time. He told me what I already thought it was: de Quervain's tendonitis. He gave me 2 new splints that immobilize the thumb. I haven't used them yet. He also said it should eventually go away on it's own, but if not, I can come back in and get the cortisone shots.

Liam FINALLY got his SS card in the mail last week... BUT his name is spelled wrong!!! ARGH... Vergara is spelled - "Vergar"... friggin hospital (they filed the paperwork)!!! We are also getting more hospital bills... just popping up here and there. Great!!!

This weekend, we are driving down to Florida to attend my friend Stacie's wedding. We were debating on whether or not to bring Liam... and decided to see if Joel's mom would want to watch him over the weekend. Hopefully he will be a good boy for grandma!

Then, next week, I have to start work again! :( And Liam starts up at daycare on Tuesday. Sigh... I'm sad that our time together is coming to an end, but I think I need the time away as well (for my own sanity). I really don't think I could be a full-time mom. I have mad respect for those that are... and especially for those that have more than one child!!! I'm definitely not cut out for that!

I just want to enjoy this last week, and try not to stress out... I know in a few months I'll look back at this time and wish I could just stay at home with Liam all the time... I will probably forget the hard times. Babies grow so damn fast!

P.S. It's now been 40 minutes into the nap!!!! How long will this last??!

2 comments:

Shonna said...

You know, I am not sure that 45 minute naps are all that atypical. Scarlett just started getting closer to 2 hour naps in the last month and still often wakes up after 30 or 40 minutes but we try to leave her in her crib (as long as she isn't crying) until the time she is supposed to get up. She'll usually just play in her crib. Does he wake up and start crying immediately? Anyway, enjoy your last week at home with him! Don't worry about how it is "supposed" to be! Every baby is different and he is just his own little man. He is adorable by the way!! His facial expressions remind me so much of you!

Unknown said...

jacy, you seem exhausted. but, I am sure he will start to get more into a routine, maybe immediately once he is in the daycare. i am sure the books are there for an educated need, but if the lil guy has his own ways, well, that's his artistic gene coming through (haha) wanting to be a radical. :D I can't believe how much he has grown!!! how often do you have to buy him new clothes? sorry to hear that you have to go back to work soon. It must be tough, but my mom in law was saying it was so liberating for her to be away from chris when she returned to work. :) you will be fine. you are doing so well, and he is such an adorable little guy, and i cant wait to see him in person.love- palli