Monday, November 2, 2009

34 Weeks: SPD?

Appointment last Friday went well. I got the Strep test done. It's somewhat common in women, so if I do have it they will just administer antibiotics through IV when I go in to deliver. The nurse noticed I "lost weight", which I really didn't... the last time I weighed in was on an inaccurate digital scale which read about 5 lbs heavier! And she measured my uterus to be 34 cm... a little bit ahead of schedule, but not really since I was close to being 34 weeks anyway. My next appt is on Friday the 13th! Joel may come to this one because it will be when they do the 3rd trimester ultrasound.

I decided to go back to my physical therapist. I'm going tomorrow morning. I did more internet research and I don't think it's my sciatic nerve that's bothering me, but instead my lower pevlis/pubic bone. I feel pain in my groin! I think I might have something called SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction). SPD occurs when the preggo's body releases the hormones that soften the ligaments down there to prepare for birth, but releases too early and makes everything too loose too soon instead of giving her body pelvic support in her time of need (i.e. which, for me and my protruding belly...is NOW!). I read about this and immediately ordered the Prenatal Cradle to get more support. (thanks for introducing me to it, Shonna!) The nurse I saw Friday also suggested it, but said that it will not go away until after birth (of course *groan*), and it's just one of those things a preggo has to endure. Walking doesn't help, but I walk anyway because I feel I need to. Until I get my cradle, I'm not going to walk my usual 2 miles around the park.

Anyway, I'm going back to the physical therapist to see if she knows anything about SPD. Maybe she can give me a deep tissue groin massage...HAHA! Just kidding. But seriously, that's where the pain is.

Other than that, nothing else is bothering me. Well, my stretch marks are becoming scarier and scarier. :( So sad. I hope the SPD goes away INSTANTLY (and not have a c-section), so I can get back into running and some sort of gym routine to try to get back into shape. I know it will take a while, but I'm tired of being so tired!

2 comments:

Shonna said...

Hey darlin'! Hang in there! I'm still optimistic that one day you'll wake up and feel better. They told me I wouldn't get better until after the baby was born (both the itching and the pain in my back/leg) but I did! The prenatal cradle didn't fix things for me, but it definitely helped so I wore it everyday anyway. I should have just sent you mine because I doubt I'll use it much more. Anyway, happy 34 weeks! Only a month and a half to go!!!

Kristy Lupsha said...

I'm tired of being tired too and I'm only half way through my pregnancy. :(

Hang in there, I'm sure everything will work out just fine! :)